Was on rexipra and respidon. Stopped dosage. What are the signs of correction insignificant?

My wife is 27 years old and was on rexipra 10 mg and Respidon 2mg for one and half years. The tablets are stoped from last 1 month without consultation of doctor and the signs of correction are not significant. what do you advise on this ?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 48 minutes later
Your wife was on medicines for severe depressive disorders.
Rexipra is Escitalopram and is a SSRI(selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and used to treat major depressive disorders and panic attacks.
Respidon is resperidone which is again a medicine used in cases of severe depression,schizophrenia,bipolar disorders etc.
These medicines are to be taken under strict supervision of a Psychiatrist (specialist) and should never be discontinued abruptly.
The problem in stopping these medicines is that in most cases the depression is worsened.
Rexipra(Escitalopram) stopping can be seen as worsening of symptoms like: mood or behavior changes,increased anxiety, panic attacks,loss of sleep, irritability,restlessness,have suicidal thoughts.
Similarly stopping of Respidon also causes loss of sleep,muscle stiffness,uncontrolled movements ,siezures,fainting and increased symptoms of the illness.
My advice will be if you are seeing any worsening of symptoms or your wife has any of the listed symptoms then you should consult her Psychiatrist immediately.
Your wife will need help of medicines and the stoppage of medicines should be done as and only when her doctor suggests you to do so.
Simultaenuously she will need counselling and moral support from your side to recover faster.
I hope this answer is helpful to you.
In case of any queries you can write back and I shall help you.
Please accept this answer if you have no further queries.