Was on effexor, came off. Have nose bleeds, edema, cheeks swelling and peeling skin. Suggest?

Dec 2012

I was on effexor 100mg for 9 years, not to my liking but advised by psychiatrist. Took myself off because started severe symptoms including nosebleeds , edema, swelling of cheeks, peeling of skin.....etc. Many have cleared up but I am still plagued by the edema in ankles and lower back issues. No psychiatric problems at all...... should I wait and just hope all goes away eventually. I am 67 years old. And in generally good health.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Just wait for a couple of days

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Normally all the side effects should be cleared off within a couple of days. Swellings or edema is not very common while taking effexox (venlafaxine) but if they do occur, I do believe that they should normally clear off within a couple of days after stopping the medication.
You should also have your blood pressure checked and kidney functions too. This is just as an extra measure in case there are other existing problems that might have resulted to these ankle swellings.
See a doctor if there are not changes in the next 7 days.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah