Was on birth control pill and had nexplanon inserted. Finished birth control and have had no period. Suggest?

Was on the birth control pill and just had the nexplanon inserted. I just finished my birth control and have had no period. Is that because of the bc implant%3F
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Nexplanon is a progestin contraceptive.

In persons who were previously on oral contraceptive like yourself, it is to inserted either on the day after the last pill or the at the lastest the last day of the pill free interval.

This contraceptive can have different effects on a woman' s period. This includes decreasing its frequency or stopping it altogether.

If it was inserted in the right time frame, this is likely the cause of the absence of your period.

Some women may experience the opposite and have bleeding between periods.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions