Was on Pradaxa for Afib and switched to xelatro due to side effect. Due for chiroparactic for back pain. Suggest?

I have been on Pradaxa for Afib and switching to Xeralto tomorrow due to GI side effects from Pradaxa. I am due for a chiropractic manipulation tomorrow for chronic low back pain due to spinal stenosis. Is there a risk of obtaining a complication from bleeding around the spine or cord, with the combination of Xeralto and chiropractic manipulation?

Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

Welcome to health care magic.

I am Dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based from the information provided you are wanting to know if taking Xeralto is it safe to have chiropractic manipulation or in short risk of having bleeding from the manipulation.

The Xeralto is anticoagulant medication it does run risk of bleeding.
As in case of the chiropractic manipulation of spine do not run a major risk as long as the pressure is kept at minimal level still its better to let chiropractor know about the medicine.

Only harsh blunt trauma will induce the bleeding in spinal manipulation which is never used by chiropractor. Hence we can say its safe for your purposes and intent.

Hope it helps.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any clarifications / concerns.