Was late on menstrual period, had blood clots followed by heavy flow. Underlying cause?

Hello, I was late on my menstrual period. I normally get my period for 5 days tops and only 3 days with normal flow. I started my period last Sunday and the first 3 days it was pretty light but the next day a huge ball with blood clots came out. Ever since then, I continue to have heavy flow and lots of blood clots. No cramping but I feel weak. I'm 42 years old. Is this a sign of miscarriage or starting my menopause? please help, thank you!
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rule out pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX After analyzing your symptoms I feel it could be a sign of silent miscarriage. kindly get a urine pregnancy test done, if it is positive you might need a scan to check for any retained products. If pregnancy test is negative you can take some medications which can decrease the bleeding during periods, and kindly take some oral contraceptive pills to prevent further pregnancy after consulting your OBGY specialist.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile