Was involved in a T-bone crash and X rays showed no fractures. Could the pain in the same area be due to small breaks that were unnoticed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was involved in a T-bone crash as a driver about 6 months ago. X-rays showed no fractures of my ribs, but I am now having pain again in the same area. Could this injury have no t healed properly? Or, could there have been small breaks that weren't noticed before? It hurts!
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may need to further investigate

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.
As per your history of trauma there is possibility of rib contusion.
Rib contusion is not always visible on X ray .You may need to do MRI or HRCT to see details of injury
I will advise to consult to orthopaedic surgeon.

Medication like muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain along with it use rib support belt.
You may consult physiotherapist for pain management. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.
You may need to take rest for early healing.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you find this answer helpful do not forget to give rating at end of discussion.

Dr Vaibhav