Was in stage 3 kidney failure. Diagnosed diabetics. Lost weight. Having good protein rich food. What else can be done?

My doctor just told me this week that at 54 I was in stage 3 kidney failure. She said not to worry that many people my age (71) are in stage 3. I was diagnosed with diabetes approx. 21/2 years ago and have reduced my A1c from 7.5 to 6. I have lost 40 pounds and 2 sizes. She didn't give me any advise. I freaked because I have known people with kidney failure. I looked at what not to eat and unfortunately as a vegetarian I mainly eat those foods. My daily diet includes greek yogert,high in protein, raw nuts, with occasional bananas, avocados, and potatoes (all potassium no no's. I eat soy bean products: raw or cooked soybeans as snakes, use soy milk eat patties make of soy tofu and veggies, most of my vegetarian meals have soy products and I eat snap peas as candy. I don't know what is considered high protein. As you can tell I have just enough information to be confused and afraid. If you can make a question out of all this-I would appreciate some guidelines Thank you
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 3 hours later

Thanks for asking.

Diabetes has direct effect on kidneys, any level which is higher than normal has the potential to cause renal damage.

You have done few things quite remarkably well, decreasing your glycosylated Hb from 7.5 to 6.1 and losing a lot of weight.

As far as diabetes goes , now the risk of further damage to the kidneys because of diabetes is very low in light of very good HBAIC and reduced weight.

Renal functions go down with age, with your age it is not uncommon to have GFR in stage 2 or 3 with person having good quality of life. Nothing can be done to stop it except for taking care of diabetes and high blood pressure with the target blood pressure below 120/80.

Reducing the protein intake may not have any direct effect on slowing of the renal damage, only in patients with severe renal failure protein restriction may have some role.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Follow-up: Was in stage 3 kidney failure. Diagnosed diabetics. Lost weight. Having good protein rich food. What else can be done? 24 hours later
I am sorry to wait to answer, the email was in the spam and I could not get the answer, so went to the email address. Thank you for the reassurance. The diets I found for stage 3 also restricted potassium and phosphorus. Is this important or is it, as the protein, for a more severe condition? In my history I failed to mention my arthritis and severe back problem in L5-L3 plus DDD and stenosis. This was diagnosed about the same time as the diabetes. I have been taking 2 tablets a day of diclofenac sod ec 75 mg and my doctor has taken me off of it and aspirin and advil. Would having taken this medication since March, 2012 made a difference in my kidney function and will it help bring it back up by stopping using it? I very much appreciate your response. You have taken away the fear of failing quickly. My daughter's mother-in-law was on dialysis when she died of a heart attack, so I have been close to the progression. She did not follow her diet and was very heavy, but one's mind can run away with anxiety. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 12 minutes later
I do not think so that restricting the proteins and potassium is needed at this stage in your case.

Taking the anti- inflammatory tablets certainly affects the kidneys especially if taken for a long time.Nothing you can do now except for stopping the tablets,and most of the times the response is good.Do check your levels again in 6-8 weeks of stopping the tabs.

Thanks .