Was getting periods regularly. Having delayed periods. Pregnant?

dear sir pls tell me that my girlfriend was getting periods regularly in 28 this month today 29th day.but still she is not getting periods.what is the reason pls tell me.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand you are worried, but I wish to ask if your girlfriend and you are sexually active? If yes, pregnancy will have to be ruled out along with a few other conditions. But, please do not worry, a delayed period by 1 day is still not worrisome. Let me list a few of the possibilities for you:

-Pregnancy: To rule out/confirm pregnancy please conduct a urine pregnancy test, which can be done at home. The best time to conduct this test would be 2 weeks after last sexual contact or on the first or second day of a missed period. Please use an early morning urine sample for this test, this will be most accurate. It is also recommended to repeat this test 2-3 times to confirm a result
-Stress: can also cause a delay in periods
-Menstrual schedules: a slight change can occur every now and then
-Diseases or disorders: can cause a change in regular menstrual cycles
-Weight: An increase in weight can result in a delayed period
-Medication: A new regimen of medicines can sometimes affect the menstrual cycle

These are the most common causes of a delay in regular periods. I would first request you to get a urine pregnancy kit, which you can purchase in all medical stores and get your girl friend tested at home. If it returns negative 2-3 times, and the period has not yet appeared, then we will have to look into other causes.

Do not worry, I am here to help. You can go about all the tests and consult me. This could also be because of stress, my friend. Let us wait for the test results.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Was getting periods regularly. Having delayed periods. Pregnant? 15 minutes later
dear sir now today she got her periods.nw i m not worry.i want to ask sir.2 to 3 days delay in periods is right i mean it is normal na sir.she also has menstral cycle 28 to 30 days.nw today 29th day she got periods.just now.pls reply sir
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later
Hello once again.

Yes my friend, this is normal without a doubt. A normal cycle can range from 28-30 days. A slight variation is fine, and normally seen in every normal woman. Do not worry.

This can be completely physiological, or sometimes even due to stress. Not to worry at all. Tale care and my best wishes to both of you.

She is perfectly fine. I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.