Was fingering inside vagina and there was bleeding. Should be worried about air bubble getting there?

Question
My girlfriend and I were having sex. As I was fingering her, I believe my nail gouged her pretty good on the inside. We didn't notice till the end. There was a good amount of blood. Should we be worried about an air bubble getting in there?
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

I wouldn't be worried about air bubble. Air embolism requires direct puncture of blood vessels; surface trauma is not sufficient.

However she needs to be aware that there is a small risk of infection. Watch for fresh symptoms such as pain, abnormal discharge and foul smell. Encourage her to consult a gynecologist if any of the above symptoms appear. A doctor visit is also recommended if bleeding persists.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best Regards