Was engaged in sexual activity and took Livonorgestrel and next day again had unprotected sex. Pill required?

Excellent

Question

I and my partner engaged in sexual activity and condom broke during the act. She has taken the single dose of Livonorgestrel 1.5 mg(Clr-72) -1 after 12 hours as we are not ready to have baby as of for another year atleast.
Now, next day, if we happen to engage in unprotected sex, does she need to take the pill again or its not required?

Thanks,

Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not very effective...

Detailed Answer:

Levonorgestrel effect gradually start to wean off in about 24 - 36 hours. The effects may not last for more than a day in women with high metabolic rates.

Therefore in all circumstances I do not think the pill is going to be very effective in preventing pregnancy after a day. I recommend you use other means of contraception than rely on the last levonorgestrel dose.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Follow-up: Was engaged in sexual activity and took Livonorgestrel and next day again had unprotected sex. Pill required? 4 minutes later
Dr,
You have I recommend you use other means of contraception than rely on the last levonorgestrel dose. What other means would you advice to have unprotected sex ?
Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Prasad 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral pills...

Detailed Answer:

Emergency contraceptive pills induce hormone changes. Therefore we do not recommend using emergency contraceptive pills for more than once a month.

Since the second act would not be protected, you need to use barrier methods like a condom or repeat levonorgestrel with the risk of facing additional side effects.

If you and your partner are very active sexually consider regular pregnancy as well as saves the unwanted side effects of using more emergence pills.

Hope this is clear.