Was diagnosed with neurocysticercosis. Now have sinus with cold and cough. Why do I still have dizziness?

Neurologist
Question
I was diagnosed with neurocysticorsis in July 2011. have been taking leveipil 500 mg twice a day with frisium 5 mg in night. ( SOS 1/2 ) frisium in day as i had developed anxiety disorder) Have been going to work regularly since july 2011.

Did the MRI in XXXXXXX 2012 wherein neurocusticorsis shows completely resolved. It shows sinus.
Had done the MRI as used to feel dizziness at times . Also since mumbai weather being cold had cold and cough last month. Got chest xray also done which was abso normal. Now only taking the normal levipil and frisium and am taking taking vertin 24 for dizziness. Do steam inhalation at times. My neuro has suggested to XXXXXXX him after 16th feb as he is out of india. can you suggest reason for dizzines..
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 17 minutes later
From the description, it looks like you have vertigo due to labyrinthine dysfunction. The most common cause of episodic vertigo is Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) and this usually gets worse after an cough and cold).

For now, continue on steam inhalation and continue on vertin. If symptoms persist, BPPV can be confirmed by a small bed side test called as Dix Hallpike test. If positive, the most effective treatment is a procedure called "Epley's manoeuvre," which can move the small piece of bone-like calcium (otolith) that is floating inside your inner ear. Out of the 6 canals (3 in each ear), Dix Hallpike test helps in choosing the abnormal canal and Epley's procedure in re-positioning the otolith in the chosen canal.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your vertigo specialist or neurologist.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns, I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Was diagnosed with neurocysticercosis. Now have sinus with cold and cough. Why do I still have dizziness? 18 minutes later
any feedback on my neurocystocorsis problem ? is levipil cause of dizziness.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Regarding the neurocysticercosis, most episodes are self limited and resolve completely. Medication for seizures is usually given for 1-2 years and then gradually tapered and stopped. Levepil can cause dizziness at the time of initiation of therapy, but this is usually self limited (it becomes alright on its own) and non-disabling. So I personally feel Levepil may not be responsible for your dizziness.

Sincerely,
Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist