Was diagnosed with fibromyalgia . Chances of having MS?

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last November, but I don't think the Drs did everything they could to rule out MS. How can I know if I have MS and not Fibrobyalgia
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 29 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

MS (Multiple Sclerosis) generally presents with the following symptoms

Pain/numbness of face, hand, leg. The distribution of these are either one side of face, one side of hand and leg or both the legs. I mean there is a specific distribution rather than diffuse like fibromyalgia
Weakness of both the legs, one leg, one hand and one leg etc.
Eye pain and visual loss
Incontinence of urine/stool or urinary retention

The above listed symptom will suggest a possibility of MS. Note that MS is a diagnosis of exclusion, and other conditions can present in the same way. To start with some people may have fatigue. But MS cannot be diagnosed based upon this symptom alone

I strongly feel that you do not have MS. If you still think that you have MS (scientifically you do not have MS), you can get MRI scans of the Brain and spine to rule out this possibility.

Hope this clarifies your query,

Best wishes

Follow-up: Was diagnosed with fibromyalgia . Chances of having MS? 21 hours later
Thank you, you have put my mind at ease. This whole Fibromyalgia disorder is getting to me. This is actually the third day that I am not in pain. Other than that I never know when or where it'w going to strike. It's hard to start a project of any kind for fear I will trigger an attack. Is there ANY other remidies I can follo besides doping up with medication?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later
The major objective of treatment in fibromyalgia is to help relieve pain and other symptoms, and to help a person cope with the symptoms. The goal of medication is to improve sleep and pain tolerance. Medicine should be used along with exercise and behavior therapy. Duloxetine, pregabalin may help without much problem. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is an important part of treatment. This therapy helps you learn how to deal with negative thoughts.

I would also suggest you to keep a diary of pain and symptoms

Kindly attend a nearby university hospital where you will get this facility. I hope that you will improve.

Best wishes