Was diagnosed with diverticulosis. Had cramping, feeling of fullness, bloody mucus in stools. Was on Cipro and Flagyl

Dec 2012

I was diagnosed with diverticulosis 2 yrs. ago on colonoscopy but have had no problems up to now..10 days ago, I started with abd. cramping,feeling of fullness and need to go to BR frequently with little result except for mucus which at times was bloody (not much)..after two days, I had moderate pain which sent me to the ER..I was dx. with diverticulitis but am wondering how he came up with that as he never did any physical exam or any other labwork or such...I was put on Cipro and Flagyl, the latter is completed...
I started with some mild cramping in my lower mid-abd. two days ago and now have black stools...
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diverticulitis can easily occur

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting,

One of the most common complications of diverticulosis is diverticulitis. So i do believe that your doctor considered the fact that you had previous history of diverticulosis then developed present symptoms which just made him draw the the conclusion of diverticulitis even without having to examine you.
But your symptoms of cramping and feeling of fullness (or bloating) could still be as a result of diverticulosis or other serious underlying diseases condition such as colon cancer or rectum especially with the fact that you are 73 years old and had been presenting with episodes of blood in stool. Even though diverticulosis or diverticulitis can cause bloody stool, it is always wise to rule out other possible causes of bloody stool and since you also presenting with black stools (possibly melena), then it is also important to rule out causes of upper bowel bleeding such as gastric ulcer etc.
If I was to handle you as one of my patients, I will request for another colonoscopy and an endoscopy then run some blood tests.
Presently I suspect that you might be having two bowel conditions, diverticulosis and gastric ulcer. Other conditions as stated above need to be ruled out.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah