Was diagnosed bi-polar during childhood, now controlled without medicine. How to know if still bipolar?

I was diagnosed as being bi-polar as a child, around 14 yrs old. I am currently 48 and i feel i have controlled it without medication. How can I know for sure that I am still bi-polar?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer is descriptive

Detailed Answer:
The typical symptoms of Bipolar disorder include:

1.Combinations of hypomania / mania and depression in life time, in any number

Symptoms of Mania : opposite to depression

Symptoms of hypomania: same as mania but are of much lesser severity and of shorter duration

2.There is no test by which you can confirm the diagnosis

The diagnosis will be confirmed by thorough history taking and mental state examination

Hope I could get across to you. Let me know if you need further clarification.