Was bitten on foot. Have swelling and pain. Taken Benedryl and Advil for pain and swelling. Suggest?

12 days ago I was bitten twice on the right foot by an insect hiding in my garden shoes. I have considerable swelling and pain this far along. Have taken Benedryl, iced the spot, taken Advil for pain and swelling. What kind of doctor should I see? How does the venom get out? Is it usual for something like this to last so long.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

I would be happy to answer your questions. I would be concerned that the area may be infected....can you send me a picture of the area so I can see what it looks like? If not...then it sounds like you are doing the right things...without having seen a doctor. A doctor may prescribe anti-biotics and or steroids. Your regular family/medical doctor should be able to help out with this.

Be sure to keep the area dry and clean.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.