Was bitten by pet bird on upper lip. It is swollen. Should I get tetanus shot?

Hi I have a pet Cockatoo bird. He bit the upper part of my lip. It is swollen and the beak went thu my lip. My question is should I get a tetanus shot? Don't know when my last shot was.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
If in last 5years you have not had inj. Tetanus toxoid then it is an indication to get the immunisation in form of a single booster dose of tetanus.
If swelling is persisting and painful then there may be accompanying infection and you should also get antibiotics prescribed by a local physician.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!