Was assaulted and choked. Right side of neck is swollen. Is it residual bruising from the assault?

Question
my girlfriend was assaulted earlier today and choked. She refused to go to the doctor earlier because she felt fine. now her right side of the neck is swollen. Does she need to go to the doctor or is just residual bruising from the assault?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
she can rest at home

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry about your girlfriend current health status.

If she does not have any other obvious symptoms like breathing difficulty, development of gross swelling in the neck area, she can rest at home.

I would suggest her to apply cold ice packs locally every hour for the bruise and the swelling to subside.

She could take a tablet of Motrin to reduce the inflammation and swelling. I also request her to drink plenty of water orally.

I wish she recovers quickly.

Follow-up: Was assaulted and choked. Right side of neck is swollen. Is it residual bruising from the assault? 12 minutes later
it is red underneath the chin, and the swelling has stiffened underneath the jaw bone. do I need to go to the hospital???

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go to the hospital if symptoms worsen

Detailed Answer:

As I said earlier, if your symptoms are worsening, you can go to the hospital. There is nothing wrong in it.

However, going by your description, it does not seem like a grievous injury to me. Hence, I suggest Motrin and ice packs.

In any way, if you feel the need to go to the hospital, then please go ahead.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Was assaulted and choked. Right side of neck is swollen. Is it residual bruising from the assault? 52 minutes later
what would cause the swelling?

the pressure of the choking?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you are right

Detailed Answer:

Yes, the pressure of choking has probably caused the soft tissues around the neck to swell.

This inflammation or reaction is acute. It will subside with continuous ice packs to the affected area.

Hope this helps.