Was anxious and feeling heaviness. Body is numb and weak from head to toe. Light headed. Was that a panic attack?

Question
Hi..
The other morning I was anxious and driving my daughter to school..I started to feel this heaviness that I had to pull over... Then all of a sudden my whole body went numb and weak from head to toe....was that a panic attack or something else... It lasted about 2 minutes and then the feeling went away but felt so lightheaded when I got out of the car...got so scred..my heart raced as the feeling was going away...didn't feel it race when I was having this attack.. I am so scared now...keep thinking about that feeling
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible

Detailed Answer:
A transient episode of weakness could be due to many reasons . Medical causes need to be ruled out first for safety . You should monitor your blood pressure and and blood sugar. Commonly these rare reasons of weakness .

If this was a transient single episode then you need to be alert and watch out for future episodes of a similar nature .

If your blood pressure and sugar is normal then you need to be alert . If thks happens again then you may need to tested further , with an echo , ECG , and a CT Scan . If you are prone to anxiety attacks then of course it's a possibility . But it's important that medical reasons be ruled out first.

If anxiety is a problem you face then some medication may be needed . As I'm sure you know having a similar attack while driving is XXXXXXX .

Follow-up: Was anxious and feeling heaviness. Body is numb and weak from head to toe. Light headed. Was that a panic attack? 1 hour later
Isn't Tia numbness on one side? I had whole body and was thinking about it because I had this a couple of times... And feel it coming on before if happens
My blood pressure is always like 110/70 or 100/70. When it happened I checked my pulse and it was 123 during the attack .. Then I felt normal after all was done

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Check your sugar

Detailed Answer:

So if the bps was normal then you may have had a anxiety episode . Normal BP with tachycardia or fast pulse may lean towards anxiety . If it happens again then you should have some tests .,

Follow-up: Was anxious and feeling heaviness. Body is numb and weak from head to toe. Light headed. Was that a panic attack? 2 hours later
So it's not Tia?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
tia cant be diagnosed from one episode

Detailed Answer:
Tia usually cant be diagnosed from one episode. It usually just causes dizziness. And lasts longer than a few seconds. And you say you arent hypertensive. I suggest you do monitor your bp for a few days. Also numbness on a certain side of the body points to a nueral cause as well as cardiac. But only a ct scan can rule out that. As i said, you need to undergo some tests to confirm. Check bp and blood sugar for at least 3days in a row. If its normal, then you may go for further tests. Without any history like hypertension or diabetes, we cant jump to a conclusion. Take it a step at a time.