Ask a Urologist   »  

Wart like thing appeared on penis shaft. What could it be?

Question
I have what looks like a wart on the left side of the shaft of my penis. It's been there for a while, doesn't hurt, shed, or anything. It kind of came out of nowhere, and it's solitary. I've been with the same woman for almost 4 years and have never cheated, but this popped up in the last year or so. What could it be?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common cause of the lesion shown in infection with HPV. Human papilloma virus can cause warts or lesions in most aspects of the skin, there are over 100 types but each type is more likely to cause an infection in specific areas.

It is possible to have latent (silent) HPV infection. This means that a person can be infected with the virus and have no symptoms. This latency period can actually extend into years, in some cases up to 20 yrs. This is why a person could have been affected a long time prior to the manifestations of symptoms.

It is diagnosed by examination, the application of certain substances (acetic acid) which turn it white and possibly biopsy.
It is treated by the application of chemicals or by surgical removal.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Wart like thing appeared on penis shaft. What could it be? 21 minutes later
How do you get this? And the lesions are removable, but is it contagious/dangerous/curable?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
Hi

HPV is spread by contact with someone who would is infected, as stated earlier , it can be latent for years. It is possible to transmit it to another person.

Surgical removal is an option, they are also treated by application of chemicals that cause them to break down.
In terms of potential complications, there is a small risk that the lesions can become more XXXXXXX or cancerous.

Remember, it has not been diagnosed as such, diagnosis requires inspection of the lesion by your doctor and investigations.

Please feel free to ask anything else

Follow-up: Wart like thing appeared on penis shaft. What could it be? 5 minutes later
If it's NOT that, what are some other things it could it be?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi

The lesions of the penis can be divided into inflammatory lesions, infectious lesions and very rarely, cancerous.

The inflammatory lesions are : psoriasis, lichen planus, lichen sclerosus, angiokeratomas. These are all benign (not dangerous) and are normally treated by either observation or the application of topical creams.

The infectious causes are the HPV which was mentioned previously, herpes and syphilis.Herpes and syphilis are unlikely based on the lesion.