Warm sensation in vagina. Onset of menopause. Why has the feeling returned?

Infertility Specialist
When I was 51 I began feeling a warm sensation in my vagina and I believe it was the onset of menopause because my periods quit. However, I am now 58 and that feeling has returned. It gets warm in one area for about 1 minute, it goes away and then about an hour later, it happens again in the same area. What is happening?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 hours later

What you are experiencing is a part of postmenopausal symptom called hot flushes. Hot Flushes are the most common symptoms experienced by women as a result of menopause. A Hot Flush is a sudden sensation of intense heat which is usually accompanied by perspiration and reddening of the skin. The vagina feels warm (sudden intense heat).

The exact cause of Hot Flushes remains unclear; however, it is thought to be associated with the hormonal changes that occur during menopause e.g., a drop in oestrogen levels. This leads to vaginal dryness and feeling of warm sensation.

HRT) has been proven to help reduce the frequency and severity of Hot Flushes. The benefits and risk factors involved with HRT should be discussed with your Doctor before the commencement of treatment. Some women choose alternative management including relaxation techniques, nutritional supplementation and lifestyle changes.

There are various vaginal oestrogen creams available which help to reduce vaginal dryness and hence help you in reducing warm and dry sensation in vagina.

I hope I have answered you query, Please accept my answer if no further queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol