Warfarin user, have infection under tooth. Should I come of warfarin in anticipation of this?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a warfarin user (3,4 alternating). I am on holiday but am suffering from an infection under a tooth . When I return home on Wednresday I will go to a dentist for a possible extraction otherwise treatment by antibiotic. Should I come of my warfarin in anticipation of this?
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 54 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

There are still some debates about this problem but today it is advisable for patients to continue with the Warfarin before most dental procedures including tooth extraction. The reason is that if the Warfarin is stopped for few days prior to any surgical procedure the risk of getting a thrombosis greatly outweighs the risk of excessive bleeding following the surgical procedure. So the incidence of significant bleeding in warfarin patients during the extraction is actually minor and this shouldnt concern you. Also, extraction might not be necessary at all.

I hope I ve answered your questions, but if you have any doubts consult your dentist about this. If you have any more question I ll be glad to help.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Warfarin user, have infection under tooth. Should I come of warfarin in anticipation of this? 22 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thank you for your advice. I shall continue to take warfarin pending the dental procedure.
Kind regards,
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 hours later
You are welcome. Just continue with warfarin with no fear. Wish you good recovery.