Wants to increase height. Using products shown in telemarketing. How safe is it?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hi Doctor,

My sister is of age 21. Her height is about 5.2". She wants to grow more in height and unknowingly, she wants to try the ayurvedic medicines that are being branded in telemarketing shows. I stopped her and came here to take a strong medicine and I am having many doubts abouts these medicines.

1. How reliable are they?
2. Are there any proven results observed using these medicines?
3. Are there any probable side effects with the usage?
4. Are there any reliable brands which we can use?
5. Is it a correct way to use these medicines for something which happens by nature?

Please provide your valuable opinions on the same.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later

Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your query and before going into analysis of your questions, please let me know about the following concerns:
1. family history (height of parents)
2. what is the height to weight ratio (any constitutional delay)?
3. whether your physician has ruled out hypothyroidism, bone age (skeletal disorder)?
4. prior to telemarketing has she taken any other system of medicine?

Please let me know about these concerns so that your queries are dealt in a better way.

Dr. Munish Sood
MD. (Ayu.) Kayachikitsa
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika Clinic
Follow-up: Wants to increase height. Using products shown in telemarketing. How safe is it? 16 hours later
Hi Munish,

1. Mother - 5.0", Father - 5.5" (appr.) and brother (5.9")
2. Her weight should be around 55-60 Kgs. No such delays were there. Growth stopped normally at 18-19 years of age.
3. I am not sure doctor. I don't think she has any abnormalities specified. She faced normal skin problems. Nothing major than that.
4. No, she has not been in any medications related to height growth.

Note: My mother is kind of low in height and almost entire family of my mother are of less height. May be that could be the reason (genetically).

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 3 hours later
Thanks for the concerns clarified and making preventive and treatment aspect much easier: As you said that her growth stopped by itself at the age of 19 with no identifiable(pathological) cause, this means that growing ends of long bones are completely closed/fused and no possible further growth in terms of height is possible, moreover as stated by you that members from her maternal side are short in stature, it could be one reason of not attaining/achieving desired height.
A.     coming to your queries asked:
1.     No Pharma company will ever describe his/her product not to be authentic, they are in market to sell ,earn and publicise their compound, and now even Actors have jumped into this marketing business (reason is simple-easy money and common people easily get influenced by their presence on show) and as you know 90% of knowledge is attained through visual (eyes) stimuli and this is the reason of showing their products on television.
2.     .If height was a concern XXXXXXX Tendulkar, XXXXXXX Bachhan would have been deeply depressed all their life.
3.     Ask your sister to eat a healthy,balanced and nuritious diet and practice pranayam,yogasanas, back exercises that stretches the spine which helps in increasing height by 1”-2” inches.
4.     Contact with a yoga expert for various Yogasans which can be adopted and practiced in daily routine.

Dr. Munish Sood
Naimittika Clinic