Wanted to introduce infant formula as a substitute for breast milk. Introduced lactogen1 and having rashes on face. Advised duxo lac. Is it safe?

Dear Sir,

My son is six months old.Next week I have to go back to work.I would like to introduce infant formula as a substitute for breast milk during my work hours.I have already introduced ragi ,banana powder,raw mashed bananas and cooked and mashed vegetablesto my little one.But I have a problem with infant formula.I introduced lactogen 1 to my baby a week ago and baby developed a dry, itchy rash of the face, watery eyes, and a runny nose .My paediatrician suggested pro nan or duxo lac.Today I introduced pro nan 2 and after half an hour he developed the same symptoms.Is there a possibility of milk allergy.If so is there any alternative formula I should try.

Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Relax.there is nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern.

First I appreciate the way you are giving complementary feeding to your baby .

Allergy to infant formula is seen in many babies and is usually due to cows milk which is main ingredient in them.

I suggest you to do following things.

-Use soy based infant formula.
-If baby is allergic to this also hypoallergenic formulas can be used.
-introduce milk in very small quantity.
-most of the times babies outgrow allergy in few days.

I also recommend you to take expressed breast milk,it can be stored at room temperature for about 8 hours and for 24 hours in refrigerator and it can be given to baby in your absence.

Hope I have answered your query,in case you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless..