Want to wean off blood pressure medication. Taking Diovan for stress-related BP. Have unbearable side effects

I want to ween myself off my blood pressure medicine.I have been taking it for 5 years and I'm having too many side effects. I'm going to do it naturally. My high blood pressure is stress related and I am now exercising a.d eating right and my blood pressure readings are really good. How can I ween myself off them. I'm taking Diovan HCT 160/12.5 my side effects have
become unbearable please help.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 53 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern.

There are many reasons for high blood pressure the common one in your case seems to be stress and family history.

In treatment of blood pressure the main goal for treating physician is to control blood pressure and that is with minimal side effects of drugs given to the patient.

Along with medications life style changes like diet control, control of stress, exercise does play an important role.

It is good that you are having good control of blood pressure with all this.

Your father had blood pressure, means you are having family tendency of high blood pressure. It is very less likely that you can go away completely without medications to control your blood pressure as you are genetically prone to high blood pressure.

I would suggest following:

1. Please get in touch with your physician and discuss with him about the side effects. He is the best person who can change the drug if needed. There are lots of anti hypertensive drugs available which are well tolerated. The drug you are taking is also a good drug, though at times all the drugs do not go well with all the patients.
2. Continue the good life style that you are maintaining and keep a record of blood pressure readings at different intervals; this will help your doctor in deciding the dose of medication.
3. In case your physician is convinced that your blood pressure is due to stress only and without medicines only with life style changes you are able to maintain your blood pressure well, he may discontinue the drug or reduce the drug dose.

4. Please do not stop the drug or change the drug without advice, this can lead sudden increase in your blood pressure without warning.

I hope this helps you to take an informed decision.

I hope this answers your query and clarify your doubts.

Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.