Want to treat PCOS through diet and exercise. Is taking Metformin a must in order to help PCOS?

May 2013
i have pcos. i would like to treat it naturally through diet and exercise. i am also trying to become pregnant. Is taking metformin a must in order to help pcos?
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

-The feature of polycystic ovarian disease are menstrual irregularities, anovulation, over weight, hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance, hirsutism etc.

-Though all the features may not be seen in every women, most of the features can be seen in many women.

-In polycystic ovarian disease treatment lifestyle modifications will help to some extent.

-Exercise: a decrease of at least 5% body weight can help in decreasing insulin levels, hirsutism, ache etc.

-Diet: total intake of carbohydrates to be decreased,
Less processed carbohydrates like whole wheet, brown rice, beans etc to be taken,
Manufactured carbohydrates to be replaced with whole grains, fruits, vegetables etc.
Enough amount of protein to be included in diet.

-Stress reduction methods like yoga, group support etc will help.

-Medical treatment along with these lifestyle modifications will give better and quicker results.
Metformin in insulin sensitizing drug which will help in decreasing insulin resistance and increase chances of fertility, better to use with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.