Want to take Cleanse RX which contains vitamin c, magnesium oxide, psyllium husk. Can it be taken with Cipralex?

Hello, I'm taking cipralex and I would like to know if I can start taking Cleanse RX. It has psyllium husk powder, vitamin c, lemon bioflavonoid, magnesium oxide, magnesium carbonate and senna.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for submitting your query.

Cipralex is an Antidepressant containing Escitalopram oxalate. Cleanse Rx is a Colon cleanser and I would advise you not to take both together because Cipralex can sometimes cause the amount of potassium in the blood to drop too low if you are taking Cleanse Rx alongside because Senna which is its active ingredient can aggravate this problem which may increase the risk of irregular heartbeats.

Kindly do not take any medicine without discussing it with your Doctor and I would want you to get yourself examined by a Gastroenterologist so that if you have a problem like Constipation, the cause could be ruled out and treated accordingly.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.