Want to start contraceptive. Had taken femilon. When should I start and till when will it be effective?

Dear doctor, I want to start on a contraceptive this month, I'm already on the 7th day of my period, can I start now, and would it be effective by the end of this month ? I had previously been prescribed femilon and would start on 2nd day of my period, hence the doubt?
Thank you, so I should visit my gynae and ask for a prescription?
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 25 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
You can start thye oral contraceptive at day seven, it will be effective as expected.
You should have a general health check up about blood pressure, diabetes, clotting tendencies etc should be ruled out prior to starting the oral contraception.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Want to start contraceptive. Had taken femilon. When should I start and till when will it be effective? 47 hours later
Dear Doctor, further to my previous query, I'm travelling and was unable to visit a gynaec, it's my 6th day today, and I started on novelon because femilon was unavailable and the chemist advised that the composition is the same. I wanted to confirm with you, if this pill would be effective by the 29th of this month when my husband returns? Also, the 21 day cycle would end by 25 th july, and I do not want my next period before the 31 st of July. Kindly advice. Thanks . Regards.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 8 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your need for postponing the periods but I am afraid you may be having periods on those important dates.
The current plan will protect you from pregnancy but for delaying periods you must consult a gynecologist who will add tab.of progesterone from day 21 of the current pack till postponement of periods is required.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.