Want to start HCG diet. Safe to take vitamin and mineral supplement while on low calorie diet?

Hello, I would like to start the HCG diet. I am planning taking a vitamin and mineral supplement, while I will be on this low calorie diet, however I am planning on eating 800 calories a day, not 500 as it was initially suggested. Should I expect any life threatening effects? I am 38 years old, and getting heart palpitations once in a while. I am taking cholesterol medication. No other medical issues. Thank you very much. I also have severe endometriosis.
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
FDA doesn't  approve HCG diet for weight loss.
Although The 2010 Dietary Guidelines does not recommend adults consume fewer than 1,600 calories per day for weight maintenance purposes,It may ,however,be safe for some adults to take a more aggressive dieting approach to lose weight. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, most adult women can safely lose weight by consuming as little as 1,000 to 1,200 calories per day.
In some extreme cases it may be safe to consume as little as 800 calories per day over a period of several months. These are called very low-calorie diets, or VLCDs, and they are a doctor-supervised and prescribed treatment for helping obese patients lose weight quickly for health reasons. The majority of calories come from doctor-prescribed meal replacements, liquids and minimal health foods. 
There are many side effects of such a diet and they are
Headache,fatigue,depression,blood clots,restlessness,irritability,gall stones etc.

Since you are having certain health issues along with occasional palpitations,I advise you to consult your doctor and get the clearance from him before proceeding for this diet.
It is always better to be safe rather than feel sorry later on.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Want to start HCG diet. Safe to take vitamin and mineral supplement while on low calorie diet? 9 minutes later

Thank you very much for your answer. I would like to please ask one more question, related to this subject. Are the side effects related to the low calorie diet, or to the hormone itself? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Both the factors are responsible for the side effects.