Ask a Dentist   »  

Want to remove teeth, had a bad experience with dentist. What should i do?

I had a very bad experience with going to the dentist. I needed 6 teeth pulled. I foolishly listened to everyone tell me they put you to sleep, you feel nothing and so on. So I went, scared to death but I was in pain and needed help. They tried to put me under, 6 IV'S, I WAS HALF OUT AND HALF NOT. I felt the extream pain and they knew it. I could hear them talking about calling 911 but insted of stopping they gave me something to numb my mouth. A lot of the heavy pain was gone but I still felt pain. They only removed 4 teeth and I am to scared to ever go back. Now my teeth are worse than ever an are starting to chip, I need to know what can be done. I still wake up in a cold sweat gasping for air over this experience,-(6 years ago) I honestly don't know if I could ever trust someone enough to go back. I am shaking just writing this. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later

I would like to ask if your dentist is an experienced dentist (specialist) or not, as you know; the only purpose of anaesthesia is to make the surgical area numb (no sensations).

But, in your case I believe anaesthesia did not work properly, there are many reasons to it.

For now, I recommend you to see an oral surgeon, discuss your previous experience with him/her, I am sure you will feel better.

I am not too sure as to why do your teeth need extraction, is it caries, periodontal problem or any other reason. Therefore, in order to know the exact cause and whether or not teeth need to be extracted can only be confirmed by clinically examining your oral cavity.

I would appreciate if you send me pictures or x-rays of your teeth that need extraction. You have a feature to upload the images/reports on the right side of this query page. You may utilize it.

Just be calm, take a second opinion and trust your dentist.

I hope I answered your query, feel free to post any questions for me.
I wish you good health.