Want to quit smoking but not able to do it

Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
To help you quit smoking, I would suggest the following:

a.     Decide on a date when you want to stop. Tell all your family and friends about this . also tell them, that you need help
b.     Remove all cigarettes from your house, car and workplace. You should basically have no access to them.
c.     Note down the time when you have a cigarette. At these times, you need to have something to eat and drink something to help minimize the craving. You can consider a fruit, a sweet, chocolate or anything that you like
d.     If the craving becomes severe, you can use Nicorette chewing gum. This has nicotine and helps maintain a basic level of nicotine in the blood. This will reduce your withdrawal symptoms
e.     If you smoke with your friends at work, stop going out with them. Instead, do something else at that minute. Take a walk, schedule a meeting, catch up with someone.
f.     To keep your hands busy, use a pencil/pen/stress ball.
g.     In addition, speak to a psychotherapist and a psychiatrist for more help. Counselling, support groups can greatly help you get rid of this habit.
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns