Want to quit smoking. Want to know about electronic cigarette. Addicted to alcohol

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I want to enquire for my dad about his smoking habit
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
In order for me to help you better, it would be great if you elaborated a little on the exact question that you have.
Awaiting your reply.
Follow-up: Want to quit smoking. Want to know about electronic cigarette. Addicted to alcohol 45 minutes later
My dad is a chain smoker.
But currently he wants to Quit smoking even before going for any treatment.
I want to know abt Electronic Cigarette come up in the market currently.
Will there be any side effects and shud he avail any precautions during his Intake.

Age : 65 yrs old.
20 Cigars per day.
Also addicted to Alcohol.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

A combination of cigarette with alcohol is a bit concerning in terms of your dad's health.

My experiences would suggest to go in for a professional deaddiction program which is supervised by a physician and a psychiatrist. This is based on proper base line assessment of the intent to smoke, circumstances to smoke and personalized treatment plan to get rid of these addictions.

Starting some remedy without medical consult would not be ideal. The process requires slow withdrawal of the intensity of addictions to avoid the XXXXXXX problems associated with withdrawal of smoking.

The most unarguable factors that help him quit include family support and self control.

Regarding the Electronic Cigarette, it is not a magic and not ideal to start quitting. No robust evidence in terms of results achieved when compared to placebo.

Hope this helps in taking a better decision.