Want to place an IUD and prescribed secnidazol and fluconazol. Impact on breast feeding?

I want to place an IUD and my doctor prescribed 2 doses of secnidazol 1000mg (1 per day) followed by 3 doses of fluconazol150mg (1 per week) for an infection. I see online that secnidazol is contraindicated while breastfeeding. My baby is 4 months old and only breastfeeds. Is this safe? Are there alternatives to secnidazol?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 days later

Thank you for your query.

What is the infection that is being suspected? If it is a vaginal infection then has a smear examination been done to know the causative agent?

Secnidazol may be prescribed in your case for anaerobic infection. It is better to avoid secnidazol during breast feeding. An alternative in this situation is metronidazole which is safe during breastfeeding.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal