Want to leave alcohol. Afraid of sleepless nights. Alcohol increases appetite. Acidity and gas problems.

I badly want to leave Alcohol. But I am not able to leave, as I am afraid of sleepless nights (full of targets & bussiness pressure) & also it increases my appetite to have some food. But I am facing acidity & gas problems for the next day which troubles me a lot. I am taking Rabiprazole since last 2.5years. Can u please help me in this ragard
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 47 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Realizing you have a problem with alcohol and wanting to leave it, is the first step a person should take in order to leave it completely and I am happy you have taken this first step

In order to abstain from alcohol you need

1. Good motivation from yourself to leave it completely and a positive attitude

2. Support from your family and more so from your friends especially the social group you usually drink with

3. A good psychiatrist who will counsel you and give appropriate treatment

You must approach a psychiatrist who will put on a drug called disulfuram, this particular drug will enable you to leave alcohol by causing aversion.
Along with this you will be put on drugs like amitryptaline which will help you with the withdrawal symptoms.

Now coming to your second problem of acidity and flatulence, please follow these advises

1. Eat on time everyday and do not skip meals

2. Avoid spicy food

3. Stay awake for at least 2 hours after dinner

4. Avoid food like ground nuts, cashew, beans, sprouts, pea nuts.

5. Avoid smoking and do not consume alcohol on an empty stomach

Since you have been suffering from this problem for 2.5 years and you also have issues with alcohol I strongly recommend you to approach a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy to rule out ulcers

It is best for you to approach a multi speciality hospital with the psychiatry, XXXXXXX medicine and gastroenterology.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health