Want to know the signs and symptoms of prospective stroke, precautions to take to avoid stroke and food to take to avoid stroke

hi doctor,

i would like to know the following:

1.signs/symptoms of prospective stroke
2.precautions to take to avoid stoke
3.Foods/diet to take to avoid stroke

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 52 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Regarding the symptoms of early stroke, Specific early signs that may be a warning of stroke include:

1. Sudden confusion or Trouble speaking or understanding speech
2. Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, hand, or leg (especially on one side of the body)
3. Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes (such as double vision, blurred vision, or blindness)
4. Sudden trouble walking or loss of balance
5. Sudden dizziness or light headedness
6. Sudden, severe headache, vomiting or seizures

Regarding the precautions to prevent stroke, depends on your stroke risk factors. Common risk factors for stroke are hypertension, diabetes, smoking, alcohol, family history of stroke, high cholesterol, over weight, sedentary life style and heart problems like atrial fibrillation. If you have two or more of these risk factors you are at higher risk of getting stroke.

Healthy life style and diet reduces the chances of stroke. Eating less cholesterol and fat, especially saturated fat and trans fats, may reduce the plaques in your arteries. A diet containing five or more daily servings of fruits or vegetables may reduce your risk of stroke.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist