Want to have plastic surgery after severe dog bite. Need suggestion

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
My father recently had a severe dog bite accident. The dog bit off muscle, tissue etc around the right hand thumb webbing and some part of the thumb. The anti rabies injections and antibiotics have been administered on time and hes doing well. However, since the wound is XXXXXXX and some superficial dead skin, tissue remains around the thumb(it is being dressed daily), the plastic surgein has opined that grafting/ plastic surgery will have to be done. I just want to know about the procedure, the precautions and possible implications of the surgery as well as the success rate and the convalescence period post surgery. Is there also a way the wound can heal up on its own without the need for surgery?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic
Im sorry to hear about your fathers injury .The treatment given so far is absolutely correct .Before going in for coverage of the defect , treatment with anti rabies and antibiotics and Tetanus toxoid , and rabies immunoglobulins are injected into the wound .Then sequential debrigement of all dead tissue is done and gradually coverage with skin is done.Important point is that we cannot allow the first web space to heal on its own as it can cause web space contracture , that means that thumb becomes joint closed to the palm and cant be as functional as otherwise normally is .If the defect is XXXXXXX then Skin grafting is not done , instead a flap is placed on the defect as skin grafting contracts over time and can again lead to contracture of web space.If a plastic surgeon is treating him , then let him decide what will be best suitable for your father as he is examining his wound closely while he is dressing it for coverage .I hope I have given you some insight of the basic outline of treatment , the way it needs to be done .If you have any further queries feel free to post again ,or call me directly on my mobile at +0000
God Bless
Dr Mayank Singh
Consultant Plastic , Cosmetic , Hair Transplant & Laser Surgeon
Radiance Cosmedic Centre , Janakpuri
B perfect Clinic ,Pachsheel enclave
ESI hospital , Basaidarapur
New Delhi
email : YYYY@YYYY
Follow-up: Want to have plastic surgery after severe dog bite. Need suggestion 4 hours later

Thanks a lot for your elaborate opinion. I do understand the details involved in the whole procedure now. I will get back to you again in case I require any more clarifications.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 12 hours later
You are most welcome anytime.
God Bles