Want to have baby. After period, going to stop birth control pills. Chances of having twins?

Mar 2016

After my period this month I am going to stop taking my birth control pills as we want to have a baby, I know that certain birth controls like Mirena IUD cause two eggs to drop the first cycle after its removed. My question is, will stopping my pills have this same effect? I'd rather not have twins...
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 11 days later
Brief Answer:
Chance of twins is high for first 3 months

Detailed Answer:

Yes, chance of twin pregnancy is slightly high for first 3 months after stopping the birth control pill and same for Mirena IUD also.

As you have history of non-identical twin, then it is quite chance for twin and with the immediate effect of stopping the contraceptive pills.

In addition, as you are planning for baby, you must take folic acid and vitamin supplements (for at least 3 months in preconception period) with balanced diet and stress free sound sleep. This will help for development of better nervous system in early weeks of pregnancy and avoid neural tube defect (NTD) disorder of the growing fetus.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through