Want to go for complete body health check up. What are the required test to be done?

I want to undergo a complete body health check up which includes tests for any type of cancer and other disease, Since I XXXXXXX not know what all tests to undergo can you please provide me a list of general tests which can help me cover most of the disease.
I have done a few tests recently as a 2D doppler of the heart a sonography of abdomen in the last 4 months so is there a need to undertake them again.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 31 minutes later

If you do not know to have any health problem at the moment, you should not repeat the 2D Doppler of the heart or the ultrasonography of the abdomen.

I would recommend you for the moment: blood tests (biochemical analysis, molecular profiles, cellular evaluation) , urine analysis and chest X-ray.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD
Follow-up: Want to go for complete body health check up. What are the required test to be done? 10 minutes later
About a few weeks back I was having some slight pain in my chest so I had to perform 2D doppler tests but the doctor ruled out heart condition also the blood cholestrol was ok there was a slight increase in the VLDL .
Also had done a CBC in which everything was in the normal ranges only Lymphocytes were 47% the normal limits were 20-40%.

Chest X XXXXXXX was also done at the same time which also was normal.

I want myself to be screened for any possible disease so I was looking for a cancer blood test also can you please suggest .
also can you please let me know the tests which will be covered under biochemical analysis, molecular profiles, cellular evaluation.
and is urine analysis a normal one or of a urine culture .

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

The following tests will be covered:

- under biochemical analysis: a metabolic panel (sodium, potassium, chloride, bicarbonate, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), magnesium, creatinine, glucose, and calcium); blood tests focusing on cholesterol levels (LDL, HDL cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels); carbon dioxide, oxygen levels, blood pH and bicarbonate levels);

- under molecular profiles: protein electrophoresis; Western blot; liver function tests; polymerase chain reaction (DNA); Northern blot (RNA); sexually transmitted diseases;

- under cellular evaluation: full blood count; hematocrit and MCV; erythrocyte sedimentation rate; blood cultures.

The urine analysis is a normal one, because it is a set of screening tests that can provide a general overview of a person's health. Only if you have symptoms which can be correlate with the urine analysis results and then to you can do a urine culture to search for the causes of abnormal findings (to look for a urinary tract infection).

If all these test are normal and you have described completely your current health condition, I would not recommend you any cancer blood test, but only to answer your question, here you have a list with cancer blood tests:

- Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP)
- Beta-2-microglobulin (B2M)
- Beta-human chorionic gonadotropin (Beta-hCG)
- BCR-ABL fusion gene
- CA15-3/CA27.29
- CA19-9
- Calcitonin
- Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)
- CD20
- Chromogranin A (CgA)
- Immunoglobulins
- Lactate dehydrogenase
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA)

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD