Want to gain weight. Taking healthy diet. Have good immunity.

I am 20 years old, 5.5' tall. I weigh 40 kg. Hence, i am very thin. My diet consists of milk products, lots of cheese and butter accompanied wid carbohydrates and protiens. I love to eat non-veg food too... as in chicken and eggs. I am a foodie but still thin. My immunity is very good according to me... I fall ill very seldom. But my concern is my wieght. I'm very thin for my age. I want to gain weight.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 1 hour later
Hello ,

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

It indeed sounds like you are very healthy. I presume that your thyroid, blood count and metabolic profile have been checked and are normal. In this case you are likely constitutionally thin, rather than thin as a side effect of illness or nutritionally deficiency. Those who are constitutionally thin and wish to gain weight have but one option, and that is to consume additional calories. The caveat here is that not all individuals are able to gain weight with additional calories. The complexity and incomplete understanding of obesity also applies to thinness. One's body may fight increased calorie intake by increasing metabolic rate. But is is worth a try. when increasing calories, one must be careful not to cause other problems, such as elevated cholesterol or triglycerides (blood fats). This is why one undertaking such an endeavor should do so under medical supervision.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow up regarding this query. Once you are satisfied with all my answer, please accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz