Want to consult regarding symptoms of thyroid

Question
My wife is having symptoms of thyroid .In this regard i want to consult .
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 49 minutes later

Based on the reports provided, your wife's TSH is slightly elevated.

Elevated TSH means thyroid hormone levels in the body are LOWER than normal. We call this condition as hypothyroidism. But her thyroid problem is very mild and the present stage is called subclinical hypothyroidism. Usually this stage is not associated with any symptoms. Symptoms if there are any maybe unrelated to thyroid problem per se.

Now to decide whether this mild thyroid problem warrants treatment, you will have to get additional tests like T3, T4, and TPO antibody. Swelling of the legs that your wife is having for few years now is not related to thyroid problem. That has to be treated as an independent problem - for this you should see a physician.

If you get the tests I have suggested for thyroid, I would able to suggest treatment for her thyroid problem.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I missed out on any other concerns. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Follow-up: Want to consult regarding symptoms of thyroid 1 hour later
I WOULD GO FOR THE TESTS AND THEN SEND YOU THE REPORTS . ALSO I WANT YOU TO SUGGEST ME FOR THE ONGOING PROBLEM i.e THE SWELLINGS AS TO WAHT SHOULD I DO NEXT.........WAHT TREATMENT TO GO FOR.........

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 11 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

You can get back to me with thyroid reports. I shall be able to assist you further with it.

Swelling of feet is a totally unrelated non-endocrine problem which requires evaluation by an experienced physician. Treatment would depend on the underlying problem.

Hope this helps to answer. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Best Regards