Want explanation of MRI report. Shows degenerative spondylosis, facet joint degenerative changes

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Can you please explain waht the MRI Impression means
1- Mild degenerative spondylosis at L3-L4 through L5-S1, producing mild central spinal canal and mild bilateral lateral recess narrowing at l3-l4 and mild bilateral lateral recess narrowing at l4-l5 secondary to degenerative disc and facet joint degenerative changes as descriped above

otherwise unremarkable study, Specifficaly no evidence of any significant foraminal, central sinal canal narrowing or any definite neural impingenent present
Thank you
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Your MRI findings are suggestive of age related degenerative changes in the spine with no foraminal stenosis or nerve compression. The changes in the MRI are not likely to be due to the fall you had. These are related to the degenerative disc disease.
Proper body posture and physiotherapy- back strengthening exercises can delay further progression of such degeneration.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Want explanation of MRI report. Shows degenerative spondylosis, facet joint degenerative changes 37 hours later
Thank you Dr. Tayal for your response. It makes sense now why Physical Therapy didn't help and released me since it's age related. My primary Dr. is lucky to be on vacation for two weeks and I was wondering if you could explain the other findings

MRI was compared to an xray two months ago - no contrast with the MRI

Vertebral bodies and Paraspinal structures - The height, alignment of lumber vertebrae is well maintained. the posterior appendages appear in tact.
Intervertebral disc height is well maintaine. Decreased T2 signal, decreaed disc height however, is noted at L5-S! consistent wiht degeneration

Overall bonenmarrow signal within normal limits
THe prespinal, paraspinal soft tisues are unremarkable

Conus Medullaris and Cauda equina A- Normal terminatiing at the level of T12
Spinal Levels T12-L1 L1-L2 L2-L3 Normal

L3-L4- Mild diffused dsic buldge, mild bilateral facet joint and minimal ligmentum gflavum hypertrphic changes are producing mild central spinal canal and mild bilateral lateral recess narrowing.

L4-L5. Mild slightly asymmetric to the left difffuse disc buldge, bilateral facet joint hypertrophic change producing mild bilateral lateral recess narrowing wihtout evidence of any formaminal or central spinalnarrowing.

L5-S1- Mild bilateral facet joint hypertrophic changes are preesent. No evidenceofany formaminal or central spinalcanal narrowing present

I do the PT exercises and still get up every 1/2 to strectch at work.
The walking isn't better and I am wondering if maybe a gel insert in my shoe would help or if you could suggest something.

Thank you for your assistance.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Your MRI findings are suggestive of degenerative changes of spine from L3 to L5 with no nerve root compression. Doing physiotherapy- back strengthening exercises along with oral muscle relaxants will help in bringing relief.
A gel insert in the shoe may be helpful but a physical examination is needed to detect the exact size.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.