Walk is out of balance, unsteady and walking with the help of walker. What could be the reason?

my walk is out of balance, unsteady, and wobbly. I am 83 and must use a cane or walker
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need a little help; description about the gait

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

Ma'am, I need to start by asking whether your gait is wobbly due to pain (because of your arthritis) or is it because you cannot flex or extend your leg out in a manner adequately enough to walk properly, or is because you have symptoms like dizziness, blurry vision, etc?

Looking forward to hearing from you, and helping you with your presentation ma'am, but I will need to understand the cause and presentation a little better. So I would really appreciate it, if you could give me as much information as possible.

God bless you with good health.
Follow-up: Walk is out of balance, unsteady and walking with the help of walker. What could be the reason? 3 hours later
I don't have pain with my arthritis, no dizziness and no blurry vision. I have two knee replacements and have good range of motion. I am on a lot of medication.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mechanical problem; joint, ligament or tendon

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and thank you for that information.

It is good to know that you do not have any of those symptoms as now it is quite clear that the problem is most probably mechanical. In most cases after knee replacement surgery the individual is given enough time for rehabilitation and physiotherapy in order to get them accustome to their new joint(s). I am sure thid was offered to you as well.

Which means we will have to first of all get your knees physically examined to check the degrees of flexion and extension. Followed by a knee x-ray and may be even an arthroscopy to find the exact cause for your gait. If your knees are fine then we will also have to check your hip joints, as these are the most common cause for problems with gait. I hope you understand why you will have to visit your doctor and get a few investigations conducted.

In most cases, if the joints are affected a surgery would be recommended; but if the joints sre fine this would be due to a frozen or contracted tendon or ligament, which can be corrected with physiotherapy.

I hope this information makes things more clear. Please feel free to write back to me for any further information, I would be more than happy to help you ma'am.

Best wishes.