Waking up with tension headache,sore neck,grogginess,not overweight,doesn't snore

I frequently wake up with a tension headache, slightly sore neck, and I am very groggy. This take several hours to go away. What could be causing this?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Follow-up: Waking up with tension headache,sore neck,grogginess,not overweight,doesn't snore 8 minutes later
Regarding my prior question, I feel I should also mention that I am not overweight and rarely snore.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 7 hours later

By the end of this session, I hope that I would have solved your queries.

I sincerely believe that you are a patient of SLEEP APNOEA. It is true that SLEEP APNOEA is seen more in obese and you are not overweight. Also SLEEP APNOEA is more common in people who snore and you do not, but still your signs and symptoms are suggestive of SLEEP APNOEA. As you seem to be aware in SLEEP APNOEA, there is decreased oxygen level in the blood (HYPOPNEA) for a short period, which leads to deprivation of oxygen to brain. Brain requires large quantity of oxygen round the clock for its proper functioning. This may be felt as headache and a feeling of grogginess.

SLEEP APNOEA can be diagnosed by combination of tests which constitute Polysomnogram (Sleep Study).

Before Sleep Study you may rule out two more things:
CT / MRI Scan to rule out any ischaemic / thrombotic events of the brain.

Visit to a Psychiatrist to rule out any psychiatric cause because of excessive stress.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well