Waking up with sharp stabbing in chest. Suggest?

I have been waking up recently with a sharp stabbing pain in the left side of my chest, it is so bad that it wakes me up and I can hardly breathe in but will go away after a minute or two and then is just a dull pain for awhile. I have been having these pains on and off for as long as I can remember but recently they have been happening once a week
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should get investigated further.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.
I can understand your concern.

There could be several reasons for such a pain. Most important thing is to rule out a heart disease. Please consult a cardiologist or a physician. After a physical examination he may order investigations like ECG, X XXXXXXX chest etc. depending on the examination findings. ECG will help in arriving at a diagnosis. Please do not neglect the same.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics