Waking up with pouncing heart and suffering from lack of sleep. Whatis the remedy?

Hi, i am a 42yo female. I have woken out of sleep a couple times in the last couple days with what feels like a racing or pounding heart. A little headache and feeling off as well. I know I an exhausted and running on little sleep as it is and have been pretty stressed. I guess it could be anxiety or something, but I worry that what if something is wrong, I don't want to write it off if this is something that needs checking out. Are there any signs I should look for that tell me I need to get checked out right away or just try to go back to sleep and maybe make an appointment when the holiday weekend is over to see my doc?
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Most probable cause is anxiety. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health care magic I reviewed your symptoms of woken out of sleep with pounding heart. Along with this you have mentioned about of yourself being stresses. The commonest cause is anxiety as you are suspecting. The other causes which need to to be evaluated for are Thyroid diseases most commonly hyperthyroidism. Cardiac evaluation to rule out tachycardia. The few tips which I can advice is Avoiding stress Adequate sleep Avoiding caffeine Avoiding nicotine and alcohol (If not please ignore) If your problem is only hear ponding, you can take appointment by weekend as you are planning. If you are having symptoms like difficulty in breathing, chest pain, then you need to consult your doctor immediately. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you