Waking up with heart racing. Feeling hot and sweat. Having headache. Blood pressure 130/80. Help?

i started waking up at night with a heart racing and a feeling of a wave of something coming over me. For the past 5 days they started increasing. My heart would race at 120 beats a minute and I started to feel hot and sweat. My face got red too. Many times I would get an headache after the episode. During the latest ones I feel really bad and feel that I need to go to the bathroom. I spent today at the emergency room & had a ECG and other blood work - nothing. I don't have an apatite. My blood pressure shot through the roof - at 240/95 and my sugar is at 300. Please help. Nothing seems to be detected. My normal BP is 130/80
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If tests are normal, need to focus on anxiety tt.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     60 year old female
•     Known case of anxiety and diabetes
•     Complaints of: racing heart, increase pulse (>120BPM), hot/sweat feeling, headache, loss of appetite and feeling of unusual wave over body.

In your case you reported very high BP (240/95) and high blood sugar level (300). Although these may be normal now, but episodic derangement in these parameters may lead your episodic current suffering.

In your past history you mention about anxiety. Anxiety disorder (Specially panic attacks) also lead to similar symptoms and frequently these patient went to ER. Fluctuating BP and blood sugar levels also increases chances of developing anxiety attacks.

Control in anxiety will not only reduce your current symptoms but will also reduce fluctuation in BP and blood sugar levels.

In your case, following steps will help you:
-Monitor your blood pressure and blood sugar levels
-Rule out cardiac etiology for your symptoms.
-Meet your psychiatrist to start or optimize doses of anxiety medicines.
-Get your thyroid function test done.
-Start some multivitamins (with B1, B12 and vitamin D)
-Start daily morning walk for relaxation

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.