Waking up with dry mouth. Noticed thickening of the saliva. How to overcome this problem?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi XXXXXXX
Over the last fews months i have noticed a thickening of saliva in my mouth and what feels like, a collection of mucous in the back of my throat. I wake up with a very dry mouth and i cough to remove the mucous which feels very thick - this sometimes makes me sick. I smoke. I am a 47 female. I feel exhausted a lot of the time
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The thickening of the saliva occurs during various conditions such as atrophy of the salivary glands, hot climate, smoking, hormonal changes (during menopause), etc.

The dry mouth is due to mouth breathing during sleep secondary to the nasal block by the thick secretions behind the nose.

Do not worry! With appropriate measures this can be taken care of.

1. Drink plenty of warm water, this will keep the mucosa moist and reduce the consistency of the secretions.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. This helps in reducing the consistency of the nasal secretions, relieves the nasal block and throat pain.
3. Avoid sleeping under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.
4. Avoid smoking/coffee/chilled beverages and food.

Hope with the above measures you will definitely be alright. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Waking up with dry mouth. Noticed thickening of the saliva. How to overcome this problem? 7 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

I am concerned about mouth cancer. I have noticed a tiny white spot on my lip which will not go away and a smaller, red spot next to it?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

If you could please mail us the photographs, we can help you in a better way. You can mail the photographs to customer care with special attention to Dr. Naveen Kumar N.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon