Waking up every night, cannot go back to sleep. Exhausted. How can I get some sleep?

I wake up every night between 2:30 & 4:00. Some nights I can back to sleep, but most of the time I can't.

I'm exhausted. How can I get some sleep? This has been going on for a couple of months now.
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 27 hours later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, it seems to be insomnia, which is "difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep, or both" or the perception of poor quality sleep. It is generally classified based on the duration of the problem i.e symptoms lasting less than one week are classified as transient insomnia, between one to three weeks are classified as short-term insomnia, and those longer than three weeks are classified as chronic insomnia. Insomnia may be caused by a variety of different reasons. These causes may be divided into situational factors, medical or psychiatric conditions, or primary sleep problems. Hence will recommend you consult your clinician to identify the underlying cause and get the appropriate treatment. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks
Follow-up: Waking up every night, cannot go back to sleep. Exhausted. How can I get some sleep? 10 days later
My dr suggested 50mg trazadone at night. What is your opinion? I was addicted to Ativan so I am hesitant to take a medication.

My bloodwork was fine.
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 14 hours later
Thanks for your kind response, trazodone is an oral antidepressant drug that affects the chemical messengers (neurotransmitters) within the brain that nerves use for communicating with each other. Although the exact mechanism of action of trazodone is unknown, it probably improves symptoms of depression by inhibiting the uptake of serotonin by nerves in the brain. This results in more serotonin to stimulate other nerves. Trazodone also may increase directly the action of serotonin. It is also indicated for insomnia, will be a good alternative to shift you from getting addicted to ativan, but have patience and if possible do some mental relaxation excercise as well, as the effects will be slower as compared to ativan. If you have no further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Thanks