Wake up with dry mouth, nausea, chest pressure, tingling on fingers and toes. Underlying cause?

Nov 2013

When I go to bed, 45 minutes into sleep I wake up with dry mouth, nausea, chest pressure, tingling on fingers and toes. Why?
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 days later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, there are two possibilities, which would need to be excluded:

1. Snoring, leading to sleep apnea- where the amount of oxygen intake is reduced, with increased in carbon dioxide leading to these symptoms. This can be confirmed by a test called as polysomnography (sleep study).

2. Cardiac disease, such as mitral valve disease. An echocardiogram would help in the diagnosis.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)