Wake up choking, unable to catch breath, no heartburn. GERD?

i suddenly will wake up chocking and unable to catch my breath, this will pass in about 30 seconds.It has only occured on two occasions in the past six months or so what could this be ?
I am not sure this is GERD since there is no heartburn associated with it. What else could cause this?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Suddenly feeling chest tightness, choking and out of breath without any cardiac or lung disorder, with no history of smoking, alcohol or drugs points towards anxiety disorder.

To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
7. Have a healthy nutritious diet.
8. Concentrate on getting a good night's sleep.

You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation.

Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease: This condition too presents with the similar symptoms as described by you associated with heartburn and usually subsides after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors group of drugs.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.