Waiting for hysterectomy due to fibroids, had miscarriage recently. With pregnancy hormone raised will operation be done?

Question
I am a 47 year old lady with 3 grown up children. I am waiting for adonminal hystertomy due to 2 large fibroids and 6 others. I had a miscarriage yesterday I didn't realise I was pregnant . I was at gym during the week for consultation and had ultrasound. He has hoped to do operation ASAP. My question is with my pregancy hormone still raised will he be able to perform operation
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later

Yes, hysterectomy can be performed after miscarriage and pregnancy hormone will not affect your hysterectomy procedure. In fact, in some cases when abortion leads to complication like perforation of the uterus, hysterectomy is the only treatment.

It is advisable to plan the procedure at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query If you have further questions I will be happy to help.

Dr Richa

Follow-up: Waiting for hysterectomy due to fibroids, had miscarriage recently. With pregnancy hormone raised will operation be done? 1 hour later
Thank you for prompt reply . My consultant did not realise I was pregnant as it did
Not show up in ultrasound. I did not pass any sac yet can this be
Normal. I thought yesterday morning I was having my period until I got
Very severe cramps which lasted over 2 hours. Gp did pregancy test which was positive . He sent me home and told me I was
Having miscarriage and to retake pregancy test in a few days. Should I
Contact my gyncaleolists in the morning and fill him in

Thanks
XXXXX
Follow-up: Waiting for hysterectomy due to fibroids, had miscarriage recently. With pregnancy hormone raised will operation be done? 25 minutes later
I have a decision to make with regard
To my ovaries whether to keep them or not my
Consultant says its completely my decision. There
Is no history of cervical cancer in my family
I have one aunt that had breast cancer also adominal
Hystertomy for fibroids
Can you advise please to keep ovaries or mot

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 11 hours later

In my opinion, if your ovary is absolutely normal, you should conserve them. Because when you conserve your ovary, your monthly period will not occur; but menopausal symptoms and hormonal deprivation do not occur immediately after hysterectomy since ovaries will maintain your hormonal level and you achieve menopause naturally. This is off course my opinion. Seek your gynecologist opinion before taking an informed decision.

Hope I have answered your query If you are satisfied with my answer kindly close the query and please rate the answer or If you have further query I am always there for your help.

Dr. Richa